Nov 17, 2009

Circle With a Center


"mandala" from the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:

In Tantric Hinduism and Buddhism (see Vagrayana), a diagram representing the universe, used in sacred rites and as an instrument of meditation. The mandala serves as a collection point for universal forces. By mentally "entering" the mandala and moving toward its centre, one is guided through the cosmic processes of disintegration and reintegration. Mandalas may be painted on paper or cloth, drawn on the ground, or fashioned of bronze or stone. Two types of mandalas represent different aspects of the universe: the garbha-dhatu ("womb world"), in which the movement is from one to the many, and the vajra-dhatu ("diamond world"), from the many into one.

I must say, I am getting some very intriguing search results for "mandala". One phrase that was mentioned in several definitions was 'the circle with a center'. I find that it's a simple phrase that holds so much context. I love it when something so slight makes me dream BIG.

I have two more artists 'signed up' for this journey with me, Heather Gordy, of Houston, TX and Danielle Garzelloni, from Chicago, IL. I will introduce you to them/their current work very soon.


No comments: