Oct 6, 2011

Over Land and Over Sea

Please help me welcome our newest contributor, artist Whitney-Anne Baker! Whitney-Anne is from Devon, United Kingdom. I must admit that I had to go look up exactly where that was. Now we all know. As you may have guessed, I know Whitney-Anne through the blogging world. She has two of her own blogs, Whitney's Weird Stuff and What Whitney Made Next. She also has a few thriving Etsy shops, Every Girl's Story and Scribble Domain which has THE COOLEST THINGS EVER. I'm sorry for shouting, but I think it's true, and that she should make these designs into wallpaper....so that I can hang them on my wall. Whitney-Anne seems to be versed in a lot of different media as well as digital, She sent along images of some paper pieces, which she described as being in her "old style".


 
 Paper Experiment No.1
Whitney-Anne Baker




 Paper Experiment No. 2
Whitney-Anne Baker


In her own words, "I began making art about 15 years ago although I had always made things as a child ( lego, lots of lego ). Over the years I have tried lots of different things; hand-made paper, artist's books, textiles, collage, abstract art, experimenting with as many different techniques and mediums as  I could. Being self taught gave me a lot of freedom! I loved it all but Photoshop is where everything came together for me. For my digital pieces I take lots of photographs, scan in found images and text, cut out shapes, use papers that I've painted to create texture, scribble with the mouse and generally mash it all up."



While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Whitney-Anne Baker




Blue Collage 2
Whitney-Anne Baker



I really relate to this statement, especially the last little bit of it, "and generally mash it all up". I used to be more of a purist, in terms of technique and use of media, but over the years I've grown to really love mixed media work, and now couldn't imagine myself not mashing it all up!

I'm very excited about working with another artist outside of the United States. I'm hoping that Whitney is able to incorporate her digital imagery into this somehow. I may need help if it's on a digital file, but it's been far too long a time since I have said I wanted to learn how to use my Photoshop. The program is just sitting here on my computer, its power only used for re-sizing images and the most menial of tasks...maybe we'll get a work out, who knows!

In the meantime, Whitney and I are both mailing our first rounds this weekend/Monday-ish. I know that it might take a few weeks for them to arrive in the mail since they are going overseas and that stuff can be expensive to mail, shoot y'all....but please check back to see the results!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely stuff, for sure.

i'll stalk out her blog :)

xx
a

shana goetsch said...

Great, please do. and thanks for stopping by amy!

Monica said...

Hi Shana,

oh this is a great cooperation for sure. I love all Whitney's art and now i can't wait to see what you guys are going to do....


xoxo Monica

shana goetsch said...

I can't wait either! overseas mailing always takes awhile...
-shana