Dec 14, 2009

A Single Tension

If there were a winner, Heather would win. But there's not, so she'll just have to be happy with the fact that I'm super impressed and extremely nervous. These two mandala pieces are so vastly different right now. This will be challenging and fun for me, as she has forced me into drawing my ass off. Heather has started with an intricate graphite drawing on paper...and I have started with a glued piece of paper that has random watercolor drippings on it (*rolls eyes at self*). But hey, this is what I asked for, a project, and an experiment. On with the show!

Cycle 2, Round 1:

Heather Gordy to Shana R. Goetsch

(Houston, TX to Milwaukee, WI)









Shana R. Goetsch to Heather Gordy
(Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX)






5 comments:

Heather Gordy said...

Thanks! BTW..I love your circle and it's going to be fun and challenging to "play" around with this one.

Vag said...

wow, i love the colors of yours shana...and heather's falcon?/eagle?/ospry? is AWESOME.
is it her totem animal?

Anonymous said...

Is your circle watercolor? It looks like petrified wood.

Heather Gordy said...

The bird is a Red-tailed Hawk. To many Native American tribes, it's feathers are considered sacred and are used in spiritual ceremonies. It's not my personal totem or spirit guide, but I felt it was appropriate for this project. The branch is cedar which is also very sacred, especially to the cherokee people. The legend of cherokee creation and Ouga (creator) is where the cedar tree was first mentioned. Cedar holds very powerful protective spirits and often a piece is carried in a medicine bag around the neck. It can also placed above the entrance of your home to protect against evil spirits.

shana goetsch said...

well heather, that is good information (for me especially) to have, thank you!

yeah D., my circle is a watercolor on paper with poly on top...for some extra sheen, you know.