Apr 6, 2010

Three Thoughts

Okay, I have the piece and it is photographed and edited! Moma Luna is from Holland, and has started this first mandala round with me. The piece she worked with features an image from one of her previous pieces, Thoughts which is duplicated three times. Three is a magic number, as she has pointed out, and it is a number that is used in Christianity, as well. This is also a variation on one of the classic mandalas, the Triad form, which was mentioned before in this blog. I got a few close-ups of each piece so that you could see the detail a bit more. Moma Luna has duplicated the figure, but has changed them each in minor ways, such as the patterns, and colors. She has also mentioned (in a nice hand-written letter to me) that she used three kinds of paper on this.

Cycle 5, Round 1:






Moma Luna to Shana R. Goetsch
Arnhem, Gelderland, Holland to Milwaukee, WI, USA


On my mandala piece, I went a more simple route (as usual). I was originally wanting to use colored feathers for this, but decided upon magazine papers instead. This is mainly because I had so many laying around in disuse, and I'm a recycler. This shape is the same one used in a mandala that I worked on with Heather Gordy. So basically, I cut out many tiny shapes and then layered and pasted them. The vague patterns/lines on the side were made with rust, they are 'rust prints', technically. And interestingly, Moma Luna and I unknowingly chose the same colored palette to start...





Shana R. Goetsch to Moma Luna
Milwaukee, WI, USA to Arnhem, Gelderland, Holland


7 comments:

Heather Gordy said...

oooo, I like both of them! The colors are awesome.

shana goetsch said...

the photos are kinda bad because it's been raining for a few days now... i will most likely re-do them at some point when there is light.

Vag said...

yea, i really like them. i love her detail and i love your pattern and colors. i prefer simple ayway, it gives me room to grow (mess up)...lol...

Momo Luna S!gnals said...

Hi Shana,
i didn't want to look here before i got your mandala as well, but i couldn't resist it haha. Your mandala hasn't arrive yet, i hope that it'll be here tomorrow. i can't wait to see it for real. I like what you've done, and the colours as well. So exciting and inspiring. :-)

shana goetsch said...

it really should have been there by now! i mailed it the same day as the other. i bet they are sending it back to me because the post office worker screwed it up. oh no.

Karin Bartimole said...

looks like you both are off to an exciting start - I look forward to seeing how you progress!!

Momo Luna S!gnals said...

Hi Shana, FINALLY! your mandala has arrived today. I didn't have to glue anything and it looks great. First i'm going to flatten it and then i can working on it. :-D